Friday, June 19, 2020

Smock Windmill

New 3D Printed Smock Windmill

Here is my version of a Smock windmill - created using a picture of one on Der Alte Fritz's incredibly helpful Seven Years War blog.  In fact, I see there was also some inspiration there for the first Post Windmill as well as the picture I posted.  

There are three main types of Windmills.  Post, Tower and Smock mills.  My first creation was of the Post variety where the body of the windmill is elevated and revolves around a centrally located Post.   Tower windmills are simply stationary beast.  These windmills operate with a fixed tower base but have a "cap" on top which rotates with the wind like the body of a Post windmill would. Smock mills are essentially Tower mills where the masonry tower has been replaced with a wooden skirt or "smock". 

Smock Windmill

I have been designing these for use on my 15mm SYW battlefields. This one tested my developing 3D modeling skills as it has compound angles to it but it has some neat features.  A nice stone foundation and the cap is on a peg so it can swivel "as the dice blow"!

In addition to the Smock mill I have included a Battalion of IR17 for scale.  Can't wait to paint this one up and picture Der Alte Fritz surveying the landscape as he sizes up his Austrian foes!




For God Sake - Forward Boys!


2 comments:

  1. Both this and the Post windmills look super! I had fun building my own post windmills from scratch back in 2015 (for Ligny).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You. Ligny is one of my favorite battles. I just visited it this last year. It has a deja vu feel for me as if I was there.

    ReplyDelete